Quote of the day

"Love is like a violin. The music may stop now and then, but the strings remain forever."
- unknown

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How Hoopoe and I got Introduced?

Our love story can definitely be attributed to today’s technology. Had communication facilities not been made so freely available, I wonder if Hoopoe and I would have been able to build up on our relationship the way we did!

It was in 2006, a week after Easter, Hoopoe came to Mumbai to attend some courses and answer exams. It was then, that, he felt the need of making female friends; maybe just to spend time or probably even on the lookout for a life partner (Hoopoe shared with me, that, generally when a guy is single, he looks for a lady who can probably be his potential soul mate), so began Hoopoe’s hunt on Orkut (at that time, the most widely used friendship site in Mumbai). I received a friend request from him and so did many other girls.

Well, I was surprised to see a friend request, because, not only did I have just about four to five friends on my list, but also, my profile didn’t even have a photograph! I was new to Orkut, and was not quite sure about how it functioned, neither was I too keen on befriending anybody. Back then, my career was a major concern to me, especially, the time that I was losing out on because of my ill health. Nevertheless, I visited Hoopoe’s profile; the first thing I did was a check on his communities and his friend’s list, to know if he is a decent guy! I checked out his profile photo and felt that he was some 36 year old guy, who probably was on the lookout for friends!

He sent me a message thanking me for accepting the invite and I acknowledged the same. And guess what, Hoopoe responds to the reply with a Belated Easter wish. In two days, he was writing long emails to me; I will not forget this one statement in his very second mail which was such a turn off; I quote, “Any way I would love to chat with you.. you seem to be very Interesting Person.. (and believe me.. I have not called many ppl interesting).” Inspite of this idiotic statement, we begun chatting and he asked all about me. I told him about my health and was very sure that when he realises the difficulty, he will lose interest.

But, No!!!! This guy was different; he cared, he wanted to know each and everything associated with my ailment; what, when, how, everything!! He was empathetic, caring, had a sound knowledge and was interested! He wanted to speak with me! After two days of chat, he asked me for my number and I gave it to him(which is so unlike me)! On the very first phone call, he chose to sing an MLTR number, “I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes, love is all around me and the feeling grows…” It was nice hearing him speak and sing, he sounded very nice over the phone, and the care was evident in his speech.

He was decent, caring, interested, an encyclopedia (his caring nature and knowledge made me fall for him). He could speak about anything; Astronomy, Physics, Anatomy, History, Technology… he was like a know it all.

Chats became long and went into the night, after the late night chats which would end about 12:00 or 1:00am, was the telephone conversations that would end at 3:00am to the longest one being from 2:00 to 5:30am. For one month, we literally lived with each other and technology helped us in being ‘virtual living mates’. Back then, I maintained a diary and I wrote about Hoopoe, not even 15 days had gone by since the time he sent me a friend request, but, I already felt I was in love. However, reality never leaves you, and I was aware that once Hoopoe met me in person, he would no longer want to continue being friends with me nor would want to keep it as pure and simple friendship.

We had not met each other, but, about three weeks after I accepted his friend request, Hoopoe told me that he felt he was having a 'crush' on me. I was elated.

Later on, in one of our conversations, I remember telling him, “I want to get rid of my little paunch (since I always dreamt about having a flat stomach and finally I do have one!), which makes me look like a few months pregnant”. Hoopoe’s reply, “No! that’s not a paunch, its our my kid in there!” Gosh! As I recount these incidents, I still blush, although, it occurred about four years ago! You can just about imagine how shocked and yet how thrilled I was reading those words! I don’t quite remember my reply, but, I’m sure, I was diplomatic.

Well, 22nd April, 2006, Hoopoe had sent me a friend request, and, we met for the first time, a month later, on 20th May, 2006. Our first meet in person is a story in itself.

So, Hoopoe, my Archangel, do you remember those long nights of talk and blushes?

- Sweetness

7 comments:

Hoopoe said...

Yes my love , I do remember those days. I also cant believe that I have changed such a lot in these 4 years.
Thank you for bringing back these lovely memories.

Your Hoopoe

Sweetness said...

Darling, you have changed for the better.

Zave said...

And here we go...
One more life begins at orkut (random friend request is not that bad a habit too I suppose then :P)!
And someone had told me online relations do not last long!
I need to give him this blog's address for sure.

Sweetness said...

I'm sure the guy speaks with some experience. However, to be honest, not only me, but another friend of mine, both of us are in successful LDR relationships and met our significant other online, by chance. The best part being; me and this friend of mine had a pact, that if neither of us finds a partner in 5 years (I think the 5 year duration got over in 2009), we both would walk down the aisle! Hahahaha..
Like always, it's nice to hear from you Zave! Hope, we can always do justice to your time on our blog.

Zave said...

Wow!
That appears to be some movie plot, two friends, pact of five years, but each one gets his/her own partner!
Great to know that!

The Aspirant said...

I agree completely wid zave.....
coz most ppl said net relationships r jst fake.....

ur story is really lyk a one frm d silver screen....hope u hv a gr8 lyf ahead

cheers :)

Sweetness said...

Thank you so much again! Ours truly is a unique story and you will know as time goes by. With it, the problems too we have encountered were one of a kind!
We do need your good wishes.