Quote of the day

"Love is like a violin. The music may stop now and then, but the strings remain forever."
- unknown

Friday, March 5, 2010

Marriage Preparation Course V

In the entire course of the MPC, creating a vision for our Marriage and praying over the same during the Eucharistic Celebration was the defining moment for me.

We needed to create a vision for our marriage, as well as state three practical steps that we would take in the course of our everyday life, in order to make it a reality.

Our vision and steps are as follows:
“To constantly grow in a deep intimate relationship with each other and create a home for our family.”
1.    Share atleast one meal and a prayer
2.    Share any hurt feelings before retiring to bed.
3.    Affirm each other by saying, “I love you, I want you”.

Then, during one of the sessions, a clipping from a documentary by Times Wellness was shown. The name of the documentary is:
“Who the Hell thought about the idea of Marriage?” 
The documentary did give some insight into how couples behave when in a relationship; at the start, everything seems hunky dory, while later on, the very actions of our spouse that attracted us, begins to turn us off!


One of the books recommended to make a good read was:
“The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman
I still have to get hold of a copy of this book!


There were other sessions on Relationship Communication, Conflict Management etc. which were helpful, and gave a good insight into the way we should deal with our issues.

Finally, at the end of the MPC, we had to make a note on what we had learnt from the course.

This is what Hoopoe had to say:
Marriage can be the best thing that can happen to me provided it is continuously worked upon.

This is what I wrote:
I have learnt many ways to deal with conflict. It has made me see our relationship in a new light and it makes me feel that we are truly Blessed to be with each other. Moreover, it has made me realize Hoopoe’s true love for me, now, I believe in it. It also has helped me recognize a number of skills that Hoopoe possesses, which are much better than mine. The biggest lesson that I have learnt is, that, I need to tell Hoopoe exactly what I want and how I feel, and, there is nothing wrong in asking.

-Sweetness

5 comments:

Dhupa said...

wow !!!
so nice !!!

Zave said...

Wow!
As I see from your words MPC does make a lot of difference.
Its a long way for me still, yet I would love to do something like that someday.
:)

Sweetness said...

Dhupa, welcome and thank you for visiting our blog. Glad you liked the post. Hope to hear more from you.

Zave, I'm glad I could contribute in a positive way via these posts. Yes, it was a beautiful experience, and of great benefit, as long as it is attended with a desire to learn and better oneself. I say this, because, we did have a couple in our group, who really were not interested in any of it. They were doing it just for the sake of the certificate. Sad, yet, true.
Once again, thank you Zave!

BK said...

Hoopoe is absolutely right; marriage needs both parties to be committed and continued to make it works. Just to share something from a book, 'Finding the Words,' I am reading now:

'Living in partnership is far more than the comfort of companionship. A committed relationship offers a place to love and be loved, a place of centering and grounding. At its best, people are able to grow and love in the security of acceptance by another. But relationships are not easy. To keep love alive, to keep respect and acceptance operating, takes consciousness and kindness.'

Sweetness said...

Thank you so much BK for sharing those beautiful words with us. It is very true indeed, that partnership takes much more than mere companionship.